12 Months to 2 Years Old
Toddlers will be separated by age and development.
At Born 2 Learn Preschool, our PK2 program provides a more structured setting for learning and social and emotional growth. The Creative Curriculum for Infants, Toddlers, and Twos is used to teach social/emotional, physical, cognitive, and language development. With this curriculum, teachers can respond to the individual needs and learning styles of all children.
Toddlers have a natural need to explore and research shows this is how they learn best. Their rooms are full of things to push, pull, press, and various centers to manipulate. Children at this stage of development learn by imitating, exploring and trial and error. While this is a wonderful growing stage in which toddlers become a bit more independent, we make it our priority to provide them with a very nurturing and caring environment. It is the security and trust that have from having loving caretakers that allow children to freely and fearlessly become involved in an array of daily learning experiences.
- Our bilingual class, taught in English and Spanish, brings the themes of early childhood to life.
- A nurturing and loving atmosphere is provided for our PK2 Class.
- Music and art activities are planned to promote creative development and self-expression, as well as to stimulate brain activity.
- Gross motor skills are supported through throwing, kicking, climbing, balancing, jumping, running, marching, and playing outdoor games.
- Potty Training and other self-help habits are woven into the daily routine to develop autonomous, self-reliant individuals.
- Teachers focus on developing the fine motor skills and hand strength that are essential for future success in handwriting and scissor skills.
- Fine motor skills are developed through the use of painting, cutting, threading, tweezing, completing puzzles, and through the use of buttons, zippers, and snaps.
- Pre-writing skills are taught through using a crayon for drawing scribbles and lines (vertical, horizontal, curves, and circles.)
- Our teachers support these emerging concepts through positive reinforcement and constant praise.
- Two Year Olds often go through a “language explosion” at this age, speaking in complete sentences seemingly from one day to the next. We know, however, that this language has been engrained in the child’s thought processes for some time, and it is joy to see how much their personality changes when they begin to express themselves verbally!
- Our curriculum for Twos includes an enriched vocabulary through literature, special concepts, and thematic units such as transportation, animals, insects, weather, seasons, holidays, and more.
- Early mathematics activities build the foundation for future mastery of number skills and logical thinking.
- Variety of activities in the areas of number sense, geometry, simple measurement, and reasoning.
- Shape and Color Recognition lead to the introduction of concepts such as patterns.
- Number recognition and number value activities (from numbers 1-9) to teach children the concept each number has a unique set of properties.
- Students are taught pre-reading skills to prepare them for our advanced preschool curriculum.
- At Born 2 Learn Preschool, we have the utmost respect for a child’s development and follow developmentally appropriate practices, while exposing them to data that will plant the seeds of academic knowledge in their minds.
- A gradual introduction to letter recognition and beginning word sounds is taught through Circle Time games and one on one interaction.
- Students begin to practice word recognition skills through interacting with color words, their first name, classmates’ names, and environmental print.
Toilet training is usually accomplished during this stage of a child’s life. When you feel your child is ready, we will follow your lead as much as possible to provide coherence and persistence with the training you establish at home. The key to successful toilet training is readiness. Every child is unique in their development and in no time will we force or shame a child for accidents or for not being ready to take this step. Until your toddler has been completely toilet trained, we ask that you supply us with disposable diapers and 3 complete change of clothes to be kept at the center.
Children also begin to drink cow milk (from 12 months) and solids. The center will provide them with milk and solid food. A healthy breakfast, lunch, and snack will be served in child-like portions to provide a balanced diet specifically designed by a registered dietician and licensed nutritionist to target the nutritional needs of preschool children. You will receive a daily report on how well your child has eaten throughout the day.
Quiet Time (Napping):
Every child needs “quiet time” to rest and regroup after a morning full of indoor and outdoor activities. We call our naptime “quiet time” because children will never be forced to go to sleep. As we have stated throughout our philosophy, the individuality of each child will not be overlooked. If there is no disruption of the other children in the room, each child may choose to sleep, rest or read silently in their mats during quiet time.